Today Audrey and I packed up and headed to the hospital for her third barium swallow study. In case you don't know, (and you probably don't, because I never even knew people could have problems with swallowing until Audrey!), a modified barium swallow study is a test that shows whether a person has a properly functioning swallow reflex or not. For babies, they are strapped into a chair that's sort of like a carseat. An xray machine in next to them and a large computer monitor to show the images being recorded during the test.
Our test was administered by a speech pathologist, a radiologist, and radiology technicians. The SLP gave Audrey liquids (mixed with barium, to show up on the screen) of different thicknesses while they watched the screen to see if she would aspirate fluid into her nose and/or lungs. I was watching from behind a screen while Paul stayed with her. While I watched I was shocked that I wasn't seeing the little bits of liquid being aspirated, like they had shown us in the past. Of course, this is a highly technical test so I didn't trust myself to get excited and think she had passed. Imagine mine and Paul's shock when the SLP looked at us and said, "She did great!!"
WHAT?! For so many months now we have had to measure, mix, blend, and travel with some stuff called Simply Thick, a gel-based thickener that made her liquids able to be swallowed safely. We bought a hand blender and had to use it every.single.day to make her special mix. When the girls and I flew to the beach this summer we were nearly 15lbs over the acceptable weight, and Simply Thick packets accounted for about half of that. We have had to be extra vigilant at playgroups and parties that Audrey wouldn't get someone else's cup and drink an unthickened liquid (not to mention at home, where Emily leaves cups everywhere!)
It's become such a part of our routine that I actually had some anxiety today when we heard the wonderful news. Now Audrey not only gets to move to whole milk, but she gets to move to JUST whole milk-- no thickeners! I am so proud of her and so very grateful that our sweet girl has been healed.
Hooray for this new development!
Definition malfunction
11 years ago






this is the best! :)
ReplyDelete