When the team finally rounded on her and decided to discharge her I was so happy I just started crying my eyes out. In retrospect it was kind of embarrassing but after all we've been through in the last week I just couldn't help myself! We packed up all of her things, said goodbye to Nurse Betty (who has been with her the most), and put her in the carseat. Then we met Daddy in front of the hospital to bring her home!
We spent a nice quiet afternoon putting away things and just kind of getting situated to life with a newborn again! Then the grandparents went and picked Emily up from school. Let me tell you- that sweet girl came in this house ON A MISSION- she wanted to see and hold her little sister! She did such a great job and was very, very gentle. She listened and followed our directions on how to hold and love on Audrey. She held her for a few minutes and then said, "I am done with Baby Audrey", hahaha! Good to see she's still our same old girl!
Tonight we will sleep with a newborn next to the bed for the first time in 3 years. It's a dream come true! We are so excited and so very grateful for everyone who called, emailed, prayed, visited, and supported us during this time. The NICU is a very scary place and Audrey was never even in critical condition...but it changed my understanding of newborn prematurity forever. I am so grateful for the excellent care she received and the dedicated staff at the hospital who watched and treated her every need. I brought in a big pan of cookies a few nights back because I felt like I needed to provide something to the staff for caring for her...but honestly, cookies couldn't ever be even close to saying thank you for giving someone their baby and helping her to become healthy again. I have a whole new perspective on life now.





yay!! :) this made me cry! :)
ReplyDeleteso excited for you, paul and emily!
This is wonderful news! Prayers really work! Enjoy being a beautiful family of four now.
ReplyDeleteThat top picture is so great!!! I am so happy for you to have your entire family home together!!! XOXO!!
ReplyDelete