Wednesday, September 8, 2010

NICU- Day 6

Today has been big, friends!!  We started out with rounds with the neonatal nurse practitioner and the attending (and a herd of residents, too!)  They ALL agreed that if Audrey passed her carseat test, dropped her bilirubin level, and stayed free of any apneas or bradycardias, then she can go HOME tomorrow!!! 

Next we did the car seat test.  I was SO nervous, I had to leave the room for a little while so I didn't sit there and stare at her.  When I came back I counted down the remaining minutes and her nurse appeared and proclaimed that she had PASSED!!  Car seat test- check!

Then an audiology tech came and administered her newborn hearing screening.  I was nervous about this- Emily failed hers multiple times in her left ear, so I was concerned that Audrey might too, especially given her premature status.  Guess what? SHE PASSED!!  Hearing test- check!

She nursed VERY lazily this afternoon and I think she will do better being a bottle-fed baby for the time being.  We still will nurse every day but primarily she will be bottle fed so we can monitor her growth.  In addition, we will be adding Neosure (an infant supplement) to her bottles and of course we can't do that if she is nursing. 

Tonight Paul and I went on a date for dinner and a movie. It was so nice to get out with him and enjoy one last evening of fun before we go into major Parent Mode hopefully tomorrow.  After our movie we headed back over to the hospital, where Audrey pooped ALL over her clothes, bed, and even the wall!  I was out of the room when it happened and Paul couldn't keep a straight face when he was telling me about it.  Hard to believe that so much poo can come from such a little girl!  I am hopeful that all the BMs she's had today will help bring down the bili level and we will be bringing her home tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment