Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Big Move!

Well, we've finally made it!  The move back to WV has been absolutely crazy...I am amazed we all made it without losing our minds- it was quite the eventful occasion! Here's a synopsis:

Friday, May 27

- the movers showed up an hour late and had 2 fewer men to pack than what they said (supposed to have 5 men, they had 3; supposed to arrive between 9 and 10, arrived at 10:50).
- I discuss with the movers about what happened LAST TIME we moved (at the last minute we discovered that things weren't going to fit on the truck and I had to frantically find a trailer at the last minute).  Lead mover assures me that that will NOT happen this time- we have "plenty of room" on this truck. He swears it won't happen again.
- 5pm- in our original plan, we were leaving for WV now.  In reality, not ANY furniture has been loaded on the truck at this point. 
- 5:30ish- movers begin loading furniture and boxes.  I begin my worrying that it isn't going to fit on the truck.  
- 10:30pm- I take ALL of our refrigerated food to a dumpster and throw it away due to the fact that it's now been outside the fridge for almost 14 hours and is warm to the touch.  (Movers advised me to empty and unplug the fridge first thing in the morning so they could load it first).  At 10:30pm the fridge was still in the kitchen. 
- 11pm- I return from throwing away our food and Paul comes to the car. My heart drops because I KNOW what he's going to say.  The movers aren't able to get all our stuff on the truck!!  Are you KIDDING ME?  It's Memorial Day weekend- where are we going to get a trailer? Where will we sleep for the night? I start crying.
Saturday, May 28
- 2:45am- the movers finish loading the last things on the truck (literally on the outside of the truck, on a pull out panel and using tie down straps. You'll never guess what was on the back- the sandbox, our patio furniture, AND THE REFRIGERATOR.  No joke. 
- We have a mattress, box springs, 2 sofa tables, an end table, 2 big screen tvs, the dog crate, my teacher chair from school, and Emily's mattress left in the house.  The house is an utter disaster- trash everywhere, nothing cleaned, really...I am totally overwhelmed.  We fall into bed and pray we get a trailer in the morning on the busiest moving weekend of the year. 
- 8:30am- Paul leaves for the Uhaul place and returns about an hour later. I do my best to pack up what's left and clean the upstairs. 
- 9:30- Our neighbors Marie, Eugene, and Kristen come out to help us load.  NATURALLY, we aren't able to get all our stuff on the trailer (do you see a pattern here?!) so we leave behind a mattress, box springs, and my beautiful polka dot teacher chair in Kristen's garage.
- 11am Paul and I say our grateful goodbyes and head out.  We stop at the dumpster (more trash!), Wendy's for lunch, and then he starts hauling the trailer with my car.  I have to stop at the ATM and get money for the tolls.  We plan to meet in Virginia so I can give him the money.  I, of course, make a wrong turn and get on the WRONG HIGHWAY (seriously?! we've lived here for 3 years!!)  and end up about 20 minutes behind Paul. 
- We stop in Virginia and I give him the money.  He leaves again and I go in to use the restroom, get a drink, get some gas, and then get on the road.   
- Then I call Paul on the road, miss my exit and begin driving in the WRONG DIRECTION (this has to be a joke, right!? How many times have I made this trip? 100?!) I am on the phone with mother in law and begin remarking about how the Virginia DOH has really put a lot of new signs out.  And then I notice a little airport..."That's funny", I think, "Wonder when they put that in?"  I continue on, beginning to notice that NOTHING looks familiar.  Then I come up on a HUGE warehouse type business- I mention the name to MIL (I have called her back now) and we discover that I have driven TWENTY MILES in the wrong direction.  I beg the GPS to give me a detour so I won't have to backtrack.  No dice.  I make a u-turn and begin going back the correct way, further delaying my arrival at the new house by about an hour.  OMG.
- I stop at Walmart to buy our replacement fridge items.  The movers just happen to be coming off that exit at the same time so I meet up with them and we begin the trek to the new house.  We arrive at the new house 21 hours after we had "planned".
Sunday, May 29
- The movers unpack the truck until 3am (and we were awake that whole time with them!)  Paul and I are both beat down and tired.  However, we rally like crazy and get the entire kitchen unpacked, washed, and put away.  Also, we get a phone call that his mom seems to have that evil stomach bug that's going around.
- Paul gets the stomach flu and spends all day Sunday in the bathroom, cramping, or napping.
- both of his parents (who have the girls, remember) also get the stomach flu and each girl gets it too...  Emily has thrown up repeatedly over night and while Audrey seems to be ok, she keeps having some loose stools so we wonder if she's getting it too.  Paul and I are torn- do we go get the girls? Can Paul even be in the car for that long? His parents insist that they're ok- they are tag-team parenting and picking up when the other one feels bad.  Way to go, Granny and Grandaddy!
Monday, May 30
- Paul's dad gets the stomach bug.  Granny doesn't want to drive the girls alone because they are super distracting (you got that right!), so even though they were supposed to come home this day, everyone was caught by this tummy trouble so they'll come home tomorrow. If everyone is feeling better. 
- We keep unpacking and unearthing rooms.

Tuesday, May 31
- Girls arrive home and we love on them like crazy.  Now Audrey has super messy diapers and we're pretty sure SHE has the stomach bug.  I just want to scream, "HEY VIRUS-- YOU'RE LIKE AN EX BOYFRIEND WHO CAN'T TAKE A HINT-- IT'S OVER!  WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE!"  This is the same virus that had me out of school at the beginning of the month....the same virus that caused me to lose 9lbs...the same virus that took me DAYS to get over. Ugh!
- Emily visits her new school for an hour or so in the afternoon.  She says she likes it!! :)

Wednesday, June 1
- Paul and I do the DMV thing all. day. long.  It's tedious, expensive, and tries our patience but we are both officially legal drivers in our new state.  Hooray!
- Paul drives back to NC to finish working- he will be home in a few weeks but we will see him on the weekends. 
- Emily goes to school for the majority of the day...again, a good day and she comes home happy!

Thursday, June 2
- I wake up with the stomach bug.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!  I already had it!!!!  I spend the day trying not to puke and trying to be productive.  I even take a nap in the afternoon because I am feeling so bad.  GO AWAY, VIRUS!!  


So that's our move.  Kind of a comedy of errors, right?!  Now some of it is funny but in the moment it was very emotional, lots of tense situations and all my planning basically gone to waste!  I guess this was a lesson in "the best laid plans often go awry". We certainly had an awful lot of "awry" moments!
However, we are thrilled to be home, in our town with good friends.  This weekend I'm driving the girls to see Paul's family in Princeton, and next week I'm flying with them to the beach and Paul will meet us there too.  Then the next week he is home with us!  I am not working for now so expect lots of news and updates now that I have some time to be calm and think clearly. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment