It’s time for the monthly update again! Emily continues to grow and change and amaze us every day. She is incredibly smart....I know I am biased because I am her mom but I have also worked with a lot of kids her age and older and believe you me....our girl is s-m-a-r-t!! :)
Here are some fun things happening with her right now:
-She is coming up with lots of new things to say. She tells us about her day and playing with DD (Miss Jamey’s son). She talks about gymnastics class (“at anastics, wait your turn!”). She tells us about rules when we break them (“We don’t throw!”) She is also continuing to be a major repeater...her newest expression is “Be right back”. It is so cute to hear what she thinks up!
-She seems to have some number conservation but only to 1 or 2, 3 at the most. What this means is she is starting to understand that 1 apple means 1 single apple....2 apples means there are 2, etc. It seems so basic but it is really an advanced, difficult concept. In fact, my first graders have trouble with conservation of number, although we are working on 1-99 instead of just beginning to look at the idea. Emmy is able to count items correctly to 2 or 3 and usually it gets jumbled sometime after that. :)
-On a not so pleasant note, she is hitting and being sassy A LOT right now. It is driving us crazy!! Where did our sweet girl go? She goes from loving and kind to clawing your face and yelling, “NO MA’AM....I DON’T WANT IT!” in the blink of an eye. It’s really a wonderful time, haha! I am trying to steer clear of the “Terrible Twos” label because I HATE labeling kids and phases....but maybe we should call this the “Trying Toddler” stage!
-She is very, very active and very, very brave. This is not a terrific combination! She is all too happy to open outside doors for herself (and walk outside!!) or to run in the street the first chance she gets. Luckily, our doors have deadbolts that are a little out of her grasp, and our street is a cul-de-sac so there’s no traffic. When we’re out in public I carry her everywhere until we get to a cart or the stroller so there’s no risk there. It is wild the things she can do and she always looks at me like I’M the crazy one when I am trying to stop her!
-She is doing a lot of pretend play now. I think this might be my new favorite activity! She loooooves dress up and tea parties and makes us all kinds of foods and drinks in her kitchen. She absolutely adores the tea pot that our friend Audra sent her for Christmas and makes us “Emmy’s coffee” all the time now. What is even cuter is that she will put on dress up clothes now and say, “Ooooh look at me....I soooo pretty!” She is so modest.
-She may, MAY have recognized a word tonight at Walmart- she looked over the deli area to where they cook the rotisserie chickens and there was a huge sign that read, “HOT CHICKEN”. She stared at the sign forever and then looked at me and said, “It’s HOT, Mommy! HOT!” I almost dropped dead on the spot. Who knows if she really connected what she saw but how else could she have known it was hot over there?
-She is a singing machine. Seriously! She loves to sing every song but her two new favorite are from Barbara Milne (look her up on Youtube). She loves, “Do You Know These Letter Sounds?” and “I Love You So Much”. It is adorable to hear her sweet voice singing so nicely. She has also expanded on the first song a little bit and will sing, “Barney Barney, B, B, B” and “Emmy, Emmy, Eh, Eh, Eh”. I am amazed at what she knows!
That’s all the news on our little lady this month. Thanks for checking on her and be sure to look at all the new pictures!





No comments:
Post a Comment